It goes without saying that A.S. 55 was an “unusual” year. For all intents and purposes, it seemed our Society came to a screeching halt along with the rest of the world. Many of us were called to find new and interesting ways to interact with our friends and co-workers, not only in the modern world but also in this medieval dream. Many found themselves with little to do but wish for better days when we could freely go to events with no more fear of illness.
This became the challenge; to entertain, inform and engage with the populace-insuring hope for the future of the Society. The Chroniclers of the Known World faced this challenge and produced wonderful publications that helped in lifting the feelings of isolation felt by so many. Every group from the smallest shire to the biggest Kingdom brought forth so much light in a rather dark world. Photographers sent in lovely photos that reminded us of what we loved and missed about our SCA@home experience. Artists sent in so many wonderful items that were inspirational in their beauty and in many cases – humor. There were so many fantastic articles, poems, short stories, and how-to’s, the list goes on and on. The William Blackfox Awards nominees were vast in their focus and full of creativity and insight. To you all I take off my hat. You did the work, in spite of it all, and you did so with grace and spirit!
My gratitude to all those that sent in works to be published in your local group and/or Kingdom level newsletters. Your love of the Society and its ideals show through in your work. Further, my gratitude and awe are extended to every chronicler in the Known World. I see you; I see your work and I am so impressed. The nominations were astounding this year – in spite of so many hurdles – and I couldn’t be more pleased.
Recipients of this prestigious award will receive a Master William Blackfox token, a certificate, and the right to use “Master William Blackfox Award Winner (or also, Commendation or nominee), “category”, AS LV (55)” in their newsletters with the Blackfox logo.
Special thanks to all of my judges that assisted in the choosing of the A.S. 55 William Blackfox Awards. I am indebted to you all. And now, with no further ado, I present the Master William Blackfox Awards for A.S. 55! Well done, everyone!
With gratitude and sincerity,
Arianna Stefana Falconi, OP Society Chronicler
What follows is an abridged list of winners. Please see Tournaments Illuminated Issue 217 for the full list of Winners. Additionally, the AS55 winners will be posted on the SCA.org website here
Best Overall Newsletter
This does not necessarily mean the best-looking newsletter, but rather the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of SCA goals and ideals. This title is awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Winner: Meridies: The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven; Chronicler: Meistress Bronwen O Gydweli
- Commendation: Artemisia: The Moose Call, Barony of Arn Hold; Chronicler: Lord Ambrose Norwich
- Also Nominated: Atenveldt: Tusker Times, Barony Tir Ysgithr; Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtrie, OP
Best Layout and Design
For the best-looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Winner: Caid: The Serpent’s Tongue, Barony of Calafia; Chroniclers: THL Dagný Starkaðardóttir and Lady Kyra Audax
- Commendation: Gleann Abhann: A Sealion’s Tale, Barony of Seleone; Chronicler: Baroness Ellyn Heath of Hemingford Grey
For artwork on cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to the newsletter and the artist.
- Winner: Atenveldt: Artist: Lady Ponar’ia Apoloseva & Baroness Sigridr Ulfsdottir deLacy; Cover Art Illustration: May 2020, Tusker Times; Barony of Tir Ysgithr. Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtrie, OP
- Commendation: Ansteorra: Artist: Lady Aline Hopton; Cover Art Illustration Cover Art, Elfsea Tidings; Barony of Elfsea. Chronicler: Lady Aline Hopton
Best Special Issue
For Arts & Sciences issues or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (canton, shire, barony, etc.). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Winner: Artemisia: The Gryphon’s Roar: 15th Anniversary Celebration Edition; Barony of Gryphon’s Lair. Chronicler: Mistress Bianca da Ravenna
- Commendation: Meridies: The Equinox Volume 382 April 2020: Center Fold Issue; Shire of Sol Haven. Chronicler: Meistres Brownwen O Gydweli
- Also Nominated: Atenveldt: Tusker Times December 2020: “12 Days of Nostalgic Nibbles”; Barony of Tir Ysgithr. Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtrie, OP
Best Special Interest Newsletter
this category recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Winner: Artemisia: The Gryphon’s Roar August 2020; Special Edition Supplement 1: Baronial Photo Album, Various Photographers. Barony of Gryphon’s Lair. Chronicler: Mistress Zalkuubar
- Commendation: Atenveldt: Thunderbolt May/June 2020; Plague Edition, Various Authors. Barony March of Mons Tonitrus. Chronicler: Margherita de Ferrara
Best Regular Feature
For cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
- Winner: Drachenwald: “Somewhere in the Knowne World…”, Author: Lady Oriana nic Kendrick; Baelfyr, Principality of Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia
- Commendation: Artemisia: “Arney The Moose”, Author: Lord Ambrose Norwich; The Moose Call, Barony of Arn Hold. Chronicler: Lord Ambrose Norwich
- Also Nominated: Atenveldt: “The ‘Lower’ Word”, Author: Jenna of Frehope; The Higher Word, Barony of Ered Sul. Chronicler: Jenna of Frehope
Recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
- Winner: Drachenwald: “The Archaeology of the Roman Diet”, Author: Fina MacGrioghair; Baelfyr, Principality of Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia
- Commendation: Middle:“‘Jeu de la Paume’: Period French Tennis”, Author: Maitre Philippe de Lyon; The Shards, Barony of Shattered Crystal. Chronicler: Simone Rousseau
- Also Nominated: Atenveldt: “5 Easy Steps to Writing Documentation for Arts and Sciences Competitions”, Author: Kniagnia Ian’ka Ivanovna zhena P’trovitsa, OL; Tusker Times, Barony Tir of Ysgithr. Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtrie, OP
Best Poetry or Short Fiction
Recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
- Winner: West: “Notre Dame Fire In Memoriam”, Author: Baron Jonathan Blackbow, Skald of Rivenoak; The Quill February 2021. Barony of Rivenoak. Chronicler: Muiren ingen Brain
- Commendation: Ealdormere: “Absent Friends”, Author: Lady Osc of the Harbours; The Skraeling Althing Chronicle, Barony of Skraeling Althing. Chronicler: Lady Aoibheann MacEwan
KINGDOM NEWSLETTER CATEGORIES
Best Cover for a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the creator of a piece provided for use as the cover of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
- Winner: Caid: Sarah Bellian, Illustration: “Western Seas”; The Crown Prints, November 2020.
- Commendation: Calontir: Kainen Brynjolfsson, Illustration: “Peacock King”; The Mews, November 2020.
- Also Nominated: Atenveldt: Baroness Sigrid Ulfsdottir deLacy, Photograph: “Hrafnheim Campfire at Estrella”; Southwind, December 2020.
Best Written Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the author of an article, regular or special feature, poem, etc. provided for use by a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the author.
- Winner: Atenveldt: Baron Jonathan Blackbow, “We Better Get Back Before Dark”; Southwind Extra, December 2020
- Commendation: Ansteorra: Master Cedric Fithelere, Lion, “The Silent Flame”; The Black Star, September 2020.
Best Artistic Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the artist of artwork or photography used in the interior of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
- Winner: Drachenwald: Richard of Salesberie, Illumination; Master of Defense Scroll for Pol O’Briain, Dragon’s Tale, February 2021.
- Commendation: Caid: Baroness Sophia de la Roche, Illustration; Pilgrim’s Map of Caid, The Crown Prints, September 2020.
Best Kingdom Special Interest Newsletter
This category recognizes special focus Kingdom level newsletters. Awarded to the newsletter and the Editor.
- Winner: Lochac: Cockatrice; A&S Journal, Various Authors & Artisans. Kingdom of Lochac Chronicler: Bjorn Sæmundarson
- Commendations: Meridies: Penfeathers: Herb and Garden Edition; Kingdom Children’s Newsletter. Authors; Lady Dedree Turner, Maestra Magdalena de Parma, Brandulfr Lodinsson. Kingdom of Meridies. Chronicler: Penfeathers Editor, Lady Dedree Turner
The Best Overall Kingdom Supplements for The Year A.S. LV
Recognizes the work done on Kingdom Supplements. Awarded to the Kingdom chronicler and their team.
Top Three Winners:
- Atenveldt, Southwind Extra, March & April, 2021 (“Atenveldt As I Remember It” Part 1 & 2). Chronicler: Lion Ari Usni OL OP — Duke Arthur Of Lockhaven, Author
- Ealdormere, Vox Borealis, September 2020.
- Trimaris: Triskele; A&S Quarterly, Various Authors & Artisans. Kingdom of Trimaris. Chronicler: Baronessa Calpurnia Fortunata — THL Adelina de Bretigny, Editor
- Atenveldt, Southwind Extra, – 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2103, 2104 – (May & June 2020, November & December 2021, March & April 2021) Chronicler: Lion Ari Usni OL OP – Various Authors