You Are Not Done Yet!
How to Write a Post Event Report
by Lady Eden Blacksmith
Autocratting an event is an invaluable service you can do for your Kingdom, Barony or Shire. You will have the chance to share your talents, realize your dreams and learn more about yourself. Yet, all that you have learned will not have the opportunity to be utilized if you do not write a post event report. And, without a post event report you condemn the next autocrat to having to re_invent the wheel (and make the same mistakes).
When is it required and who gets a copy
A post event report is required for all Kingdom events and it is highly suggested that one be done for every event no matter the size.
- A copy is to be sent to the Crown.
- A copy is to be sent each member of the Kingdom Financial Committee.
- A copy is sent to the Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences (if an arts event) or Kingdom Earl Marshal (if a fighting event).
- A copy is to be sent to your Baron & Baroness, Baronial Seneschal and Baronial Exchequer if your Barony was involved in the financial aspects of the event.
- A copy is to be sent to your Shire Seneschal and Shire Exchequer if your Shire was involved in the financial aspects of the event.
- A copy is for your records. This copy is important! Do not neglect to do this!
As you can see a lot of people need your report. The report should be written in a legible format and include all your contact information. Do not use calligraphy or parchment paper.
You first step is to have a debriefing with your support personal. It is suggested that you have this meeting within two weeks from the event, however not the next day. The day after an event is a time of rest not reflection.
While you are having this meeting refer to the sub-headings below.
- Financial Considerations
- What would you have done differently.
- What aspects worked.
Have a series of questions to ask your team. Give them the opportunity to share what they have learned.
As each event is different each post event report will contain the information specific to its needs. You determine how much information you give. Ask yourself how much and what information would you have liked to have had before the event. Part of your responsibility as an autocrat is to leave a record so that others may learn from your experiences.
Below are just some of the questions your report can answer, feel free to expand on details.
- Details of the site; when was the event held, where was the event held.
- What time considerations must be made to hold an event at that site again, do they require standard insurance or insurance paperwork from Corporate?
- Who is the contact person for site?
- What should we know about site..... no drinking, pets, on site faculties etc.
- Did you use Porta_Johns. If so, where did you get them?
- Is there anything special about the site we should know i.e the Janitor has to be paid in cash that day, the sprinklers must be turned off manually, no parking on the South side.....
- You might also include a copy of the event announcement.
- List all sub_autocrats who assisted you with the event with their contact information.
- This is not the place to vent nor place blame. Instead, it is an opportunity to recommend improvements.
- Was the amount of work delegated correctly?
Examples: Should there have been a parking_lot steward? How many servers were needed?
This can also be the place were you include reports from each sub_autocrat.
Include the final budget report for the event. Most of this information will come from your groups Exchequer. Confer with your groups Exchequer prior to the event on what will be required so that all monies are accounted for the day of the event. It would be advised to promote events so that Kingdom can receive its check the day of the event.
As autocrat you may not touch the money, nor may you run Troll. However, as autocrat you have an obligation to see that all financial matters have been taken care of correctly. For questions and concerns on financial matters please see Kingdom Exchequer during the planning phase of the event.
Check with Kingdom Seneschal on the requirements concerning the sign in sheets. Remember, you have to have the member and non-member copies. Make copies of this paperwork for yourself.
EXAMPLE FINAL BUDGET REPORT
This is only a basic pattern and does not include everything; check with Kingdom Exchequer and Kingdom Seneschal on what specific requirements each event needs.
Estimated costs and incomes come from budget proposal when bid was submitted
Estimated Site Cost Total Site Cost
Estimated Site Deposit Total Site Deposit
Estimated Food Cost Total Food Cost
Estimated Misc Total Misc
Estimated Income Total Income
Estimated Refund on Site Deposit Total Refund on Site Deposit
Total Income - Total Expenses = Profit
Profit is split ½ with Kingdom
Kingdom's Profit Total =
Groups Profit Total =
(Indicate when and who received the Kingdom's check.)
What would you have done differently?
What would you have wished been different? Examples: Would you have started the feast sooner? Had more meetings with personal? Brought extra toilet paper?
Ask your sub-autocrats what aspects they saw that could have used improvement. Mistakes are opportunities to learn. By sharing your mistakes you allow them to corrected. What aspects did you think of the next day that you had wished been tried.
Please share your experiences with future autocrats. It is not meant as a self abominate. It is a chance to give advice, advice that has been hard won.
What aspects worked?
This is hopefully the largest part of your report. Share with future autocrats parts of the event though either by design or accident that worked well. What would you like to see happen again. Why was the decision to use (fill in the blank) the best course to take. For those whose service went above and beyond who were they, what did they do.
Being an autocrat is a challenging and rewarding experience. Having a post event report from the previous autocrat assures that the event will also be fun. Writing a post event report concerning YOUR event will make life that much easier for the next autocrat.
Again, thank you for your service and with your post event report done you may rest now with a job well done.
Until the next event.